Monday, September 08, 2003

The Start of Something New

I'm terribly anxious about starting work tomorrow... it is my first permanent full-time job! I'm as excited as a bookish schoolgirl on the eve of her first day of high school.

I spent the last three days walking around the shopping centres of HK in search of shirts and a new suit. It has been an absolutely exhausting mission. I must have tried on at least a dozen suits, most were absolutely not to my liking. I finally settled for a black one this afternoon. By then, I was completely fed up with searching anymore. I may love clothes, but the process - shopping - is almost always a complete drag. I'm hoping I can pass off with wearing only two suits (my other one is a 4 year old dark navy Calibre, which I love to death) until I make another trip to Sydney. Then, I could finally get one (or more) suits from my absolute favourite store, Calibre.

I got the name and address of Vic's shirt tailor and went over to Central to get some measured up for me as well. I went into the store, and one of the first questions he asked me was "Are you a lawyer?".

The tailor had his store in a discrete shopping centre in Central. I expected it would be half empty, considering most people would be shopping elsewhere. However, I didn't realise that most of the stores there catered to HK's Filippina maid community. The place was like a maze, with with floor after floor of narrow corridors, dim lighting and low ceilings. Add in the massive crowds and the pumping dance music that congregates here every given Sunday, you could definitely imagine that the centre could be HK's only regular weekly "tea party".

Btw, tailored shirts are pretty affordable here. I made an order for 7 and it cost less than HK$2,000. That's around A$50 a shirt, made-to-measure. I get to try my first shirt on Tuesday. I get the rest on Wednesday.

No comments: