Saturday, September 20, 2003

Junk Trip



This picture was taken onboard the firm's junk this morning as we headed off for a trainee's excursion to one of Hong Kong's outerlying islands. (I work in the little pinkish tower on the left of that giant monolith - IFC2 - in the background of the picture. To the right, the building under construction in the Four Season's hotel. The green and white boat is the Star Ferry.)

The boat is not a traditional junk - it's actually a motor boat with brown wooden panelling. Employees of the firm are entitled to take it out for free according to a rotational schedule. Every eight weeks or so, the trainees have their turn.

We boarded the junk at around 10:30 (due mostly to my tardiness, as I was buying drinks from the local supermarket) at Queen's Pier. We headed off to Lamma Island, where we feasted on seafood at the most popular restaurant there. Afterwards, we made a detour to a quiet beach before heading back to the smog and people of Central.

It was a sensational day - the weather was absolutely brilliant and the humidity was at an almost manageable level. I've got a wicked farmer's tan. I feel completely exhausted now and I still a little bit wobbly from the waves. I think I need to have a Bex and a little lie down.

No comments: