Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Final hour

I PASSED!

I am so incredibly relieved. Immediately after I read the email from the Dean this evening, I ran into the kitchen and told my parents. Then, to prevent complete embarassment, I ran back into my bedroom, said a prayer of thanks and burst into tears. I am not the type to cry, but I was completely overwhelmed with emotions.

These past two months have been the toughest in my life. I've had a near-death experience a few years ago, but that really cannot compare to the rollar-coaster ride of emotions I have experienced this year.

For the past few days, I've been on the brink of a nervous breakdown. I haven't been able to sleep. I had sent numerous emails to various instructors at the university, but I had not received any reply. As the days slowly passed, it looked as though the chances for receiving word of my results became increasingly slim. I almost lost all hope of starting work next week or at all. I even began planning on what I would do, if I had to return to Sydney, just to pass the time.

Then, I received word from the university an hour ago. It was as though the Governor had given his reprieve one minute to midnight, before the prisoner was submitted to a lethal injection.

I have to thank from the bottom of my heart, all those who supported me during this difficult time. All those who encouraged me with their words; who tried to cheer me up when I felt bummed; who were willing to hear me bitch on and on - you have been great friends and I thank you all. I should stop before this sounds like a corny Oscars speech...

Now, I have so much to do to prepare for work on Monday. I didn't even consider buying clothes for work. I haven't had a haircut in 7 weeks, and I look pretty haggard. I'm not complaining though. I'm just so ecstatic.

Off the topic... take a gander into this month's Australian Cosmopolitan magazine. Liz was photographed in it in a 80's-inspired ensemble a la Punky Brewster!

No comments: