Monday, September 08, 2003

Day One

As I was walked through the Central MTR station this morning, trying my best to dodge the throngs of people heading off to work, I couldn't resist singing in my head Carly Simon's awesome song, Let the River Run. I absolutely adore the opening sequence to Working Girl. In many ways, the director, Mike Nichols, portrayed the mundane daily journey to work as a completely exciting and inspirational event. Even though I may not be Melanie Griffith (I have way better legs), nor did I just pop off the Staten Island Ferry, I was completely thrilled with the prospect of going to work and starting a new chapter in my life.

Our first induction day began, with eleven new trainees and four trainees seconded from London, meeting up at the firm's spanking new reception area. We were then herded into a training room whereby we were given volumes of firm literature. The day ended early at 6, but I was absolutely exhausted from the sheer amount of information that was bombarded towards us. To think, all this related to office administration!

I'm amazed that induction stretches three days. Work may start on Thursday, but we've got a public long weekend starting on Friday.

I share an office with my trainer. It's suprisingly spacious, and there's an awesome view East towards the Exhibition Centre in Wanchai.

Training at the firm consists of four rotational seats over two years. If things run smoothly, I'll be fully qualified as a solicitor at the end of the period. I have my first seat in International Capital Markets (ICM). Two other new trainees have been posted there as well, and none of us really knows what sort of work we will be doing... there will definitely be a steep learning curve. I'm excited that my last seat will be in London.

I've got a lot of reading to do tonight, but I'm not complaining (yet). I'm buzzed. Now, all I have to do is find a crazy, big-haired side-kick like Joan Cusack...

No comments: