Thursday, August 28, 2003

The Colombian

The Colombian

Last night was fun. I had dinner with Keith, my friend Joe, and Joe's best friend at an Indian restaurant in Surry Hills. Joe impressed us all with his fluency in Hindi. Afterwards, Keith and I went to the Colombian, a bar on Oxford St., where as it happens a talent contest was taking place at the time. We saw a lady sing 'Cabaret', an oiled-up guy dance to a Britney Spears song, a mock fashion parade featuring two women with whips and dodgy German accents and two (presumably straight) guys dressed in frilly pink pyjamas, and finally another singer doing a fun rendition of 'Route 66'. Bar-hopping of any kind is unusual for both Keith and me, so this was a bit of an eye-opener for us.

I like the Colombian. It has a nice atmosphere, and the people are regular and down-to-earth. That includes the drag queens, who were out in force last night.

No comments: