Monday, July 28, 2003

Australian Idol

Australian Idol

I admit it. I'm hooked. Australian Idol has succeeded where Popstars failed -- and failed so dismally -- by drawing me in. Following the format first developed by the UK programme, Pop Idol, and subsequently adapted by American Idol, Australian Idol, which aired last night, has all the traits of riveting trash TV. But while it adopts the basic framework of the English and American series, it diverges markedly in its choice of judges. Where the American programme, for instance, plays the supportive big-sisterly Paula Abdul against the doggedly malicious Britisher, Simon Cowell, the bitchiness seems to be spread evenly among the Australian panel. Marcia Hines is ostensibly there to provide maternal sympathy; but in fact she makes a severe and exacting mother who doesn't hold back from telling contestants that how truly bad their performances are. One appalling act prompts Hines to burst into a fit of laughter. *Miao!* (I wonder if Hines raised her pop-star daughter, Deni, with this kind of tough love.) If and when I tune into the show again next week, it won't be for the performers, but for the judges. But if I had to choose someone I wanted to win, it would have to be the kid who sang 'Bat out of Hell'. Not only does he sing Meatloaf, but he looks like the guy, too. This, clearly, is a little (deluded) battler.

In other news, The Mole in Paradise also premiered last night. I didn't watch the show, but I did manage to see host Grant Bowler ask in his stridently Guy-Smilie-esque, straight-jawed manner, "So...who and where is the Mole?" When I flicked channels to SBS, I was surprised to find the Mole reading the news. Oh, wait, that's Lee Lin Chin...

No comments: